Saturday 8 December 2012

Unique Tongs part 2

This was a crazy pair of tongs an American smith put up, he uses them for working on pieces of rail. Apprently he says there his most useful pair of tongs he has ever owned, personally i think other than that one very specfic purpose they are completley useless to me. These tongs look good but there too refined to one purpose.

These are a picture of some tongs very similar to some of my old mentors proudest tongs. Richard Lewis makes alot of scrolling plyers but there not like any kind id ever seen, there is no taper on the end of the plyers. Its just two case hardened pieces of bar, making them into a tong pair of scrolls dogs. I used them alot when i was back at Ridgeway but now i have a nice pair i made of my own.
I only need one pair of these and Richard uses alot of different pairs for his bending, he gets a cleaner result but i dont know whether that is down to experince or the tongs.

I really want to have an interveiw of sorts to pick his brains, Richard has been forging for almost 50 years and all that time he has loved tool making so i think he is the man to talk to about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment