Thursday 10 January 2013

Glen Stollmeyer

Glen Stollmeyer is an American tool maker currently based out of thailand. He makes and sells a wide variety of high quality tongs of which i own a few pairs including the mighty tusk tongs which are by far my faveriote and best pair.

I recently sent him a few emails about his unique tongs and why he makes them the way he does. Here are his respones.


Question: Why do you make your tongs in such a unique style and shape? The lack of a hinge plate and such a large rivet is something i hadnt seen till i bought some of your tongs.

Answer:  Since you mention unique, I guess you mean the tusk pair? For the hinge area (where the tong is riveted), I form that by hot punching a hole. This upsets that area a bit forming what you call the small hinge plate. With me, there may be no rhyme or reason - just habit. However, I have changed the way I make tongs many times - what stock I use, how I form different areas and other steps - sometimes to improve the design, sometimes to just try another way.

Question: What kind of ways would you say you have improved your tongs? and what kind of stock do you use?

Answer:I either use 12mm stock or 1/2 inch (12.7mm) depending on the tong/size. I have been making my tongs a little thicker in a couple of crucial areas (where the jaws beings and behind the hinge area - places where the tong is most likely to deform under too much stress). 

Also, I now hammer semi-circle depressions into the handle ends - mainly for a better feel in the hand (I rest one finger in the depression) but also for those who might use keepers / rings to hold stock though I usually don't recommend this.
 
I am still in conversation with Glen so expect some more answers soon, if nothing what talking to Glen has shown me more than anything is that these subtle change in tongs is more to do with habit than a specfic purpose. I am currently speaking to American Smith Brian Brazeal who is of the same mind, tongs differ from how we are taught to how we feel comfortable to make.
 
I am finding more and more than our tongs are a very personally thing to every blacksmith, something we are proud of almost like the work we make with the tongs themselves.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment