Tuesday 22 January 2013

Testing



For the testing I got two different pieces of steel, one a piece of flat and one a piece of square then found myself some subject willing to try it out. Will, Darrell and Alex agreed to help me with the testing, first up was Darrell. Darrell and Alex were willing to give me a few comments, Will is working on a big piece so he only had a few minutes to dash in use them then give me short one liner on his thoughts.

The test is using the 3 set of tongs pick up the piece of steel you think fits best then get it hot and use one heat to taper it down, then judge if they are any better or major critics.

Tong One




 

Darrell: Honestly I can’t see much difference in these tongs to regular tongs, I would see if anything it’s a little bit more comfortable in the hand but not a lot more than two straight reins.
Will: Can’t see a difference
Alex: I really like these tongs, it’s something different to stand out. I think that it fits in the hand a lot nicer than the usual straight reins, the only trouble is I found it more difficult to get nibs around the bar so maybe some more work to get it right.

All 3 went for the section of flat bar with these tongs

Tong Two







Darrell: You spending a lot of time putting tension into them because of how difficult it is to find a comfortable position to hold them in the hand. I wouldn’t make a pair of these because it isn’t effective sacrificing comfort for pressure on the nibs.
Will: It changes tongs from useful into a challenge.
Alex: I can see where the thought has gone into making them, it does apply more force it’s just the holding part hasn’t been refined enough to take full control of the applied pressure.

Darrell used the flat bar but the other two went for the square section.

Tong Three





Darrell: These tongs are just completely unusable because of the only section you can hold is next to the nibs, making it the hottest part. Don’t really understand these tongs.
Will: How the fuck are these useful? They don’t even make sense.
Alex: It seems like the bend is a little too far back making them un able to be held on the back so you have to hold in front of the bend, making the bend completely useless other than a little bit better looking.

No comments:

Post a Comment